About our building and neighborhood
The original Angelo V. Fawcett Elementary School was an eight-room schoolhouse built in 1949, and the school has been a gathering and learning place on the Eastside for more than 50 years. In 1957, a 10-room addition was completed. Finally, Fawcett went through a major remodel in 1987. Today, Fawcett is home to 18 classrooms of children in grades K-5, a Therapeutic Learning Center, English-as-a-Second-Language (ESL) room, a special education and neighborhood pre-school, a Learning Resource Center (LRC), library, stage, gym and multipurpose room.
After school hours, adults and children alike use the facilities for gym activities, community meetings and PTA events. At Fawcett, we believe that a strong neighborhood school creates a safer and friendlier community for everybody. Fawcett is located in a well-established Eastside neighborhood consisting mainly of single-family homes. There are many small, independent businesses located on Pacific Avenue, just a two blocks from the school.
Stewart Heights Park is "kitty-corner" to Fawcett, and offers numerous opportunities for families in our neighborhood to have fun! In addition to our "neighborhood families," Fawcett also attracts students who transfer here from other public schools in Tacoma through an "open enrollment" policy that provides for transfers between public schools. We have many students who do not reside in the Fawcett attendance area. This combination of students provide our learning community with a rich and diverse student population.