1120 S. 39th St., Tacoma, WA 98418
Originally the first brick school building in the city of Tacoma, Whitman Elementary School took a beating from an earthquake in April 1949 that sent students and staff to portables until a new facility could be constructed. The building that stands today on South 39th Street was the end result. And thanks to the 2001 bond, it received renovations to help bring it up to date.
The main points of the remodel included an addition of new classrooms, an expanded library in a new location, expansion of the administration area and general renovation of the rest of the school building. A courtyard located between two classroom wings was enhanced with new landscaping and outdoor learning areas.
The project was finished in August 2003.