Sign In

General Information

Tacoma Schools educate students up to age 21 in a variety of programs aimed at making them lifetime learners. Here are the answers to some common questions:

How do I enroll my child?

  • Determin​e the grade of your child based on past educational experi​ence. A student entering school for the first time must be five years old before September 1 for kindergarten, or six years old before September 1 for first grade.​
  • Go to your neighborhood school to enroll. Prepare for your school meeting by visiting our forms page​ to download the necessary enrollment forms. Take the completed forms with you to the school. You will need to complete a set of forms for each child you are enrolling.
    • Use the bus stop lookup tool to find your neighborhood school, or call Enrollment Services at 253-571-1142.
  • Enrollment into a school other than your neighborhood school is based on space availability.  Parents/guardians must provide transportation if they choose a school other than the neighborhood school. Transfer applications can be found on the forms webpage.

What do I do if I want my child to attend a different school within the district?

  • Submit a completed transfer application to the Enrollment Services office at 601 South 8th Street, Room 118.​ (Transfer Request-Current School Year or Transfer Request-Next School Year​)
  • Transfers for the current school year are only implemented during the first 15 days of a trimester or semester.
  • Important deadline note: Transfer requests for the next school year must be submitted by January 9, 2015 for secondary schools, and March 1, 2015 for elementary schools.

What do I do if we are moving?

  • If you are moving within the boundaries of the Tacoma School District you may finish the school year at your current school, but you will become responsible for transportation to and from school.  Please notify your school of any change of address.
  • If you prefer your child transfers to the new neighborhood school at the time of the move, first officially withdraw from your current school and then go to your new neighborhood school to re-enroll.
  • If you are moving outside of the Tacoma School District and wish to stay at your current school of attendance, you must obtain a release from your new school district and submit a non-resident application. Return the application to the Enrollment Services office at 601 South 8th Street, Room 118.
  • If you are moving out of state or out of the country go to your school and officially withdraw your child from Tacoma Public Schools.

How do I enroll my child if we live outside of the Tacoma School District boundary?

  • Before a Non-resident can apply to attend a school in the Tacoma School District a release must be granted by the district of residence. Contact your resident school district for the release. Permission must be granted annually by the district of residence.
  • Once a release has been obtained complete the non-resident application and return it to the Enrollment Services office at 601 South 8th Street, Room 118.

What do I do if I want my child to attend a school outside of the Tacoma School District?

  • We strongly encourage families to attend their neighborhood school.  Research shows that strong neighborhood schools are an essential part of a vibrant and healthy community.
  • Whether you are wishing to attend another school in another district or pursue a G.E.D. or some other path to high school completion, please complete the Release to Attend Another District form. Return the form to the principal.
  • If you are seeking a renewal for a previously granted release, please complete the Release to Attend Another District form, obtain the principal's signature from your neighborhood school, and return the completed form to the Enrollment Services office at 601 South 8th Street, Room 118.

How do I enroll my child in an online or virtual school?

  • The Tacoma School District offers a complete four year high school program for students in grades 9-12.  Please contact the Online Coordinator at the Re-Engagement Center at             253-571-3270.

​​​​​​​​​​​​How do I home school my child?

  • ​Please see the information found on our Home School webpage ​for the requirements for home schooling your child.

Are there any charter schools in Tacoma?

Yes, there are three charter schools opening fall of 2015. Information about these schools may be found at their individual websites:

SOAR Academy
Grades K-8 (opening with grades K & 1 only)
2136 Martin Luther King Jr Way
Summit Public Schools: Olympus
 Grade 9-12 (opening with grade 9 only)
409 Puyallup Ave, Tacoma, WA 98421

Green Dot Charter Middle School
Grades 6-8 (opening with grade 6 only)
1423 E 29th Street (office)

 Related Links