Tacoma Public Schools
For the 2011-2012 School Year
Maintain current seniority-based standard
Establish Joint Committee with TPS and TEA to review best practices related to credentials, performance and building fit as categories for decision-making; Superintendent and certificated staff to meet in groups to develop additional input from staff; accept anonymous feedback electronically.
In July 2012, the Committee shall meet to prepare findings and recommendations to be provided to the Superintendent and TEA President.
Establish a Peer Review Committee of 5 to 7 K-12 certificated employees who have applied for and been trained to accept petitions from employees who disagree with a displacement decision. The review will be blind and Committee members will not know the identities of the Principal and staff involved. The Committee will make a recommendation on the petition to the Superintendent. Committee recommendations and the Superintendent’s decision will be subject to Article XIV- Grievance Procedure, including arbitration by a neutral third party.
For the 2012-2013 School Year
Revise contract assignment/ reassignment/involuntary transfer criteria:
With all criteria being equal, the district will involuntarily transfer the least senior employee; provided, however, an employee will not be involuntarily transferred if another employee volunteers to transfer. The criteria include the following:
1. Requirements of the position
3. Highly qualified status
4. Appropriate Certificate
5. Evidence of setting high expectations of learning and respecting student differences
6. Evidence of creating and maintaining a safe and effective learning environment that supports learning for all students
7. Demonstrating knowledge of subject content and elements of effective instruction
8. Using ongoing assessment to reinforce and evaluate student achievement as well as planning instruction
9. Contributing to school effectiveness through collaboration with others
10. Promoting positive interactions with families.
An employee will not be involuntarily transferred if another employee volunteers to transfer, provided the volunteer is considered to be equal in regards to the above criteria.
Tacoma Education Assn.
Continue the current language: “The District will involuntarily transfer the least senior employee within the staffing category; provided, however, an employee will not be involuntarily transferred if another employee volunteers to transfer.”
· TEA has not changed its proposal since August 31
On Saturday, Sept. 10, the district offered to change its proposal to make displacement decisions based on the following:
• Length of service
• Building Alignment
Furthermore, the district was willing to agree that an employee’s prior evaluation shall not be used for purposes of making displacement decisions and was willing to negotiate over the types of supporting materials behind these factors.
The TEA rejected this “culture change."
· TEA believes straight seniority is more student-focused than the TPS proposal that takes into account staff credentials and performance, as well as building fit, and which uses seniority as a tie-breaker.